GranTurismo - Technology

Passion powered by brute force: that of the 4.2 litre Maserati V8

The beating heart of the Maserati GranTurismo is its 4.2 litre V8 engine: the progenitor of a new generation of engines, it incorporates technical features that ensure power and speed, typical of the racing engines from which Maserati has always drawn its inspiration. Emitting a deep growl at low rpm, the engine’s roar is fearsome as it comes to a crescendo and sends a genuine shiver down the spine at the highest revs. 

Ultra-responsive gearbox that makes full use of all the engine’s power

The Maserati GranTurismo’s hydraulic transmission makes full use of all of the engine’s power: the auto-adaptive automatic gearbox delivers top performance at low and medium engine speeds without restricting power at high rpm and allows gear shifts to be postponed to up to 7,200 rpm, higher revs than almost any other automatic transmission in the world. There are four operating modes: Auto Normal, Auto Sport, Auto ICE and Manual.

Well-balanced weights guarantee outstanding handling

The Maserati GranTurismo is a thoroughbred sports car with exciting potential that can be enjoyed in safety, delivering unforgettable thrills. Behind all this is the exceptionally rigid frame and the unusual layout of the wishbone suspension, not to mention the perfect weight distribution: 49% of the weight rests on the front axle and the other 51% on the rear.

The MSP electronic system monitors the car’s stability at every moment

The Maserati Stability Program (MSP) is an advanced electronic system which, in the event of skidding, reduces torque and triggers the brakes to stabilise the car in just a few milliseconds. When the Sport button is pressed, the action of the MSP is toned down to allow a more sporty driving style that doesn’t, however, compromise on safety. The trigger threshold is shifted upward, and the system acts mainly on the brakes without cutting engine power.

Supercar stopping distances with powerful Brembo braking system

The Brembo braking system features four ventilated discs (disc diameter and thickness: 330 mm x 32 mm at the front and 330 mm x 28 mm at the rear respectively). The calipers have four pistons of different diameters with ceramic isolating linings; the 4-channel ABS has electronically controlled braking distribution (EBD) integrated into the exclusive Maserati Stability Program.